2 Men Charged in Guardian Angels Stabbing

Police continue to search for third suspect

A second Chicago man has been arrested and charged in connection with the robbery of a CTA Red Line passenger — an attack that turned even more violent with the stabbing of four Guardian Angels who came to the victim’s aid.

Julius Price, 23, of the 200 block of South Sacramento Avenue, was charged with four counts of aggravated battery in connection with the incident, according to police. The charges were approved early Sunday morning and Price is scheduled to appear in court later Sunday.

He is a convicted felon and was positively identified as one of the suspects who robbed and stabbed several people on a CTA train on May 15, police said.

His alleged accomplice – Keith Gunn, 34, was arrested Thursday in Rockford without incident by members of a fugitive task force that include Chicago Police detectives and officers as well as the U.S. Marshals Service, police said.

Early Saturday, charges of armed robbery with a firearm and aggravated battery/use of a deadly weapon were filed against Gunn, whose last known address was in the 5800 block of West Midway Park on Chicago’s West Side, Officer John Mirabelli, a Chicago Police spokesman.

The robbery happened about 11:15 p.m. on May 15 at the Red Line’s Clark and Division station, he said.

A man dressed in all black and armed with a handgun hit a 27-year-old man several times with the gun and grabbed his white iPhone 4S, then fled the train into the station.

Four Guardian Angels about to board a northbound train saw the robbery and “immediately sprang into action” to stop it, Mirabelli said. They tried to subdue the robber, but were approached by a second man — an apparent accomplice — who stabbed the Guardian Angels.

The robbers fled and responding officers found the Guardian Angels bleeding on the platform.

The Angels — ages 20, 21, 22 and 40 — along with the robbery victim were taken to area hospitals where they were treated for non-life-threatening injuries. The two robbers hopped in a cab, but bailed without paying near North Orleans and West Oak streets.

Officers canvassed the area after the cab driver called police, but did not find the robbers.

Chicago Police later put out a community alert and released surveillance photos and video of the two offenders. A citizen saw the surveillance photos, recognized one of the men and informed police.

Law enforcement continue to look for a third suspect in the case.

Bond was set at $600,000 for Gunn, who police say is a convicted felon.

Copyright CHIST - SunTimes
Contact Us