Chicago police say two people are dead and at least 17 others have been wounded in shootings across the city so far this weekend.
In the city’s first fatal shooting, a 20-year-old man was found lying on the ground in the 2100 block of North Parkside at approximately 2:18 a.m., according to police.
The man had been shot in the head and lower backside, and was taken to Loyola Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Police say there have been no witnesses to the shooting, and no one is currently in custody.
Just before 4 a.m. Saturday another fatal shooting was reported in the 1300 block of West 64th Street. According to police, three people were shot after a verbal altercation, according to limited information from witnesses.
A 29-year-old man was shot and was taken to St. Bernard Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
A 21-year-old man was shot in the groin and leg, and was listed in critical condition at the University of Chicago Medical Center, while another man, a 20-year-old, was shot in the shoulder and is in good condition.
Area One detectives are continuing to investigate, and no suspects are in custody.
Here are the rest of the weekend’s shootings thus far:
- At approximately 5:25 p.m. in the 5200 block of South Justine, a 21-year-old woman was in a vehicle traveling southbound when a person on the sidewalk opened fire, striking her in the head. She was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition, police said.
- In the 5000 block of South Washtenaw at approximately 7 p.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in the left leg, police said. The man was taken to Rush Hospital in stable condition, but told police he didn’t see the shooter.
- A 26-year-old man was walking in the 1900 block of North Laramie when he was shot in the leg and abdomen, police said. The man was taken to Stroger, where he was listed in fair condition.
- Chicago police say a 29-year-old man was walking into an apartment building in the 1300 block of West 15th Street at approximately 11:27 p.m. when a person in a passing gray vehicle fired shots at him, striking him in the shoulder, arm and hand. The man was taken to Stroger, where he was listed in fair condition.
- In the 7800 block of South Kingston at approximately 11:31 p.m., two people were shot, according to police. A 26-year-old woman was dropped off at Jackson Park Hospital with a gunshot wound to her right thigh, and is in good condition. A 27-year-old man was later taken to Northwestern Hospital with a gunshot wound to the hand. Both victims were uncooperative with officers.
- At approximately 1:38 a.m. in the 1400 block of North Milwaukee, a 30-year-old man got involved in a physical altercation with another individual in an apartment. The other man pulled out a weapon and shot the man in the leg. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in fair condition, police said.
- A 22-year-old woman was riding in a car in the 7000 block of South Dante at approximately 2:13 a.m. when she was shot in the lower backside. She was taken to Trinity Hospital in fair condition, police said.
- Chicago police say two men were sitting on the front steps of a building in the 400 block of East 80th Street at approximately 3:17 a.m. when a person inside a silver vehicle fired shots at them. Both men were hit by the gunfire, and both were taken to the University of Chicago in fair condition.
- In the 11500 block of South Yale at approximately 4:28 a.m., a 14-year-old boy was shot in the shoulder, police said. The boy was transferred to Comer Children’s Hospital and is in fair condition.
- A 29-year-old man was walking in the first block of North Hamlin at approximately 6:12 a.m. when he suffered a graze wound to his neck, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai in fair condition, and a suspect is in custody, as the incident appears to be domestic-related.
- In the 500 block of North Lawndale Avenue at approximately 12:45 p.m., a 24-year-old male victim was on the sidewalk when an unknown offender fired shots at the victim, according to police. The victim sustained a gunshot wound to the upper body, the back, and was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition.
- A 19-year-old woman was shot at approximately 6:18 p.m. in the 700 block of South Pulaski, police stated. The victim was on the street when an unknown man approached and fired shots. She was taken to Stroger Hospital with a gunshot wound to the knee and listed in good condition.
- At approximately 6:59 p.m. in the 600 block of North Avers, a 30-year-old man was on the street when a light-colored vehicle pulled up and multiple offenders inside the vehicle fired shots at the victim, according to police. The victim sustained a gunshot wound to the back and was transported to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.