Eleven people were taken to hospitals after a hazardous materials response Monday morning at a meatpacking plant on the city’s West Side.
Paramedics were assessing multiple people at the scene of Battaglia Foodservice Distributors, in the 2500 block of South Ashland Avenue.
Crews were called shortly after 11:30 a.m. for reports of elevated levels of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in the air, according to Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt.
A valve apparently was left open to a tank that contains carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and nitrogen gas, officials said.
Firefighters used fans to ventilate the building, which was secured by about 12:30 p.m., according to the fire department.
Eleven people were taken to hospitals with complaints about feeling woozy. All are expected to recover.