If you've put off pitching in for the environment, the least you can do is observe Earth Hour on Saturday.
Between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m., households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and electrical appliances.
So why not make it a party? Several area businesses have special events and menus planned for Saturday.
- The Affinia Chicago will turn off the lights in the 29th floor rooftop lounge, C-View. Guests can enjoy the stellar views of Chicago amidst the glow of candlelight from 8:30 p.m. to close midnight. C-View will also offer a menu of specialty Earth Hour-themed cocktails ($10 each) for the entire evening such as the Lights Out, In the Dark and Big Al.
- Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago will extinguish the lights in the property's front drive, lobby and top tower. Guests will enjoy a complimentary Firefly cocktail in the hotel lobby, which will be lit solely by candlelight. This specially created concoction features Hendrick’s Gin, Moscato d’Asti, griottines (morello cherries soaked in kirsch) and tonic. When mixed together, the components of this delicious drink create a soft, ethereal glow, lending to its name.
- Markethouse (611 N. Fairbanks) is inviting guests in to celebrate with a special "Green Hour Menu" on Saturday that is prepared with no electricity or heat to coincide with the goals of Earth Hour. Items include Seared Tuna with Balsamic Glazed Treviso Salad and Chilled Poached Shrimp. Martinis will be made with Rain Organic Vodka. Ten percent of sales will be donated to the World Wildlife Fund. Entertainment will be provided by an acoustic guitarist and vocalist.
- Whiskey Sky and Living Room is celebrating with their very own Earth Hour Cocktail. The Veev-a-La Green will be offered the entire day, and 50 cents from every cocktail sold will go to Global Green USA. The specialty drink will also be offered on Earth Day (April 22) through the month of May.
- RENEW -- an Earth Day celebration will be held at Le Passage. It's a private reception featuring earth-friendly VEEV cocktails. The lights will be turned off from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. Send an email to RSVP@lepassage.com with Earth Hour in the subject line. The overhead lights in the dining area and all other non-essential lighting will be turned off from 8:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. and candles will be made available for customers.