Sometimes a simple 20 minutes on the elliptical just won’t cut it when you're trying to take it to the next level.
Here's some local ways to torch some serious calories in a body-busting workout.
- Tabata, Equinox Fitness: Twenty seconds on, 10 seconds off -- it seems like a piece of cake when you hear how short the drills are, but au contraire. The class -- an interval training cycle of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated without pause 8 times for a total of four minutes – will leave you jumping, lunging, doing push-ups and all sorts of exercises that leave you panting, gasping for air and sore for days.
- Rope Burn, David Barton Gym: Constant movement and non-stop jumping comprises this class of 40 minutes of heavy rope jumping drills. It’s painful to think about and painful to actually complete as well.
- Core Cardio, Exhale Spa: When we were informed that you don’t wear shoes in this class, we were skeptical of how hard it could really be. But the hour-long sweat session was tougher than nails. A combination of high and low intensity moves – like mountain climbers left us breathless – and with a few blisters to prove it.
- Breathless, Equinox: When the whole goal of the class is to get your heart rate at its ultimate max, you know you’re in for a challenge. At this cycling class, you’ll ride yourself into oblivion with super high intensity drills for the duration of the class. Just don’t forget your water bottle.
- Turbo Kick, Chicago Athletic Club: This addictive interval-based workout class combines shadow boxing, kickboxing, sports drills, dancing, yoga and simple dance moves in a party atmosphere. Instructor Sara Ruhl (and her banging body) guide you through an intense set of kick-boxing drills that will leave you dripping in sweat.
- Cardio Hip Hop, All About Dance: This fun cardio workout includes the latest hip hop dance moves to get your heart rate rocking and body moving. Coordinated routines leave your mind occupied, which helps the time fly by.