The creation of the Northwestern Brain Institute represents a visionary alignment between the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. The Brain Tumor Institute is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art clinical care and the resources and support necessary for patients and their families to meet the challenge of living with a brain tumor.
Patients and their families face many challenges after the diagnosis of a brain tumor. Many patients and family members have found these groups comforting and educational. As the number of patients and families cared for by the Brain Tumor Institute continues to grow, the time and space demands for this support group expand proportionately. It is vital that the Brain Tumor Institute provide support for patients and families and play an increasing role in community outreach and efforts to educate the public.
National Brain Tumor Society’s Family Caregiver Workshop
The National Brain Tumor Society’s Family Caregiver Workshop is a free, day-long program for family members and friends caring for a loved one with a brain tumor. The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center is hosting the workshop at Northwestern Memorial Hospital on Saturday, April 18, 2009 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This intensive training program is designed especially for family caregivers of brain tumor patients. The workshop focuses on providing information, strategies and resources to assist caregivers in coping with the challenges of caring for a loved one with a brain tumor.
A variety of brain tumor specialists, including James Chandler, MD, Surgical Director of Neuro-Oncology at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Associate Professor of Neurological Surgery at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine will speak on the following topics:
- Brain Tumor 101: Tumor Basics
- Guidelines to Managing Symptoms
- Body Mechanics: Moving Safely
- Neuropsychology: Psychological Effects of Tumors on the Brain
- Caregiver 101: Resources for You and the Patient
- Palliative Care: Quality-of-Life and End-of-Life Issues
Participants will also have the opportunity to network with, learn from and share with one another.
For more information and to register for the Family Caregiver Workshop, call 312-695-2328 or register online at: www.braintumorinstitute.org/caregivers.
Resources at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University at Nothwestern Memorial Hospital
- Advances in the Treatment of Lung Cancer (audio)
- Bone Cancer: Success of the Multidisciplinary Approach (audio)
- Breakthroughs in lymphoma and other blood cancers (audio)
- Breast Cancer: Medical Treatment Options (audio)
- Breast Cancer Screening (audio)
- Breast Cancer: Surgical Treatment Options (audio)
- Evaluation and Treatment of Papillary Thyroid Cancer (audio)
- Ovarian Cancer Treatment: The Future is Bright (audio)
- Premiere edition of Patient Power on HRN, live from the American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting in Orlando, Florida (audio)
- Prostate Cancer Screening and Treatments (audio)
- Robotic Surgery for Prostate Cancer (audio)
- Skin Cancer: Signs, Symptoms and Therapy (audio)
- Surgical Treatment of Lung Cancer (audio)
- Treatment of Colon Cancer and Pancreatic Cancer: Are We Making Progress? (audio)
- The latest cancer news with special reports from the American Society of Hematology meeting and from the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (audio)