Three people were shot - two fatally - on Interstate 57 near south suburban Calumet Park Monday night, authorities said.
The incident took place at around 7:55 p.m. in the northbound lanes of I-57 near 123rd Street, according to Illinois State Police.
A gunman in one vehicle opened fire on another car that had four people in it, officials said, striking three of them and causing both cars to crash.
All northbound lanes were closed for several hours as police remained on the scene, searching for evidence and shell casings, but the expressway was fully reopened as of Tuesday morning.
Three people were taken to area hospitals with gunshot wounds, according to ISP, who said two of those victims - both male - were pronounced dead.
One of the men fatally shot was identified as 25-year-old Parrish Myles Jr. of south suburban Markham, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. Further details, including the second victim's identity, was not immediately available.
The third victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in serious but stable condition, ISP said.
Authorities said two men ran from the shooter's car after the crash.
"State police do have the dogs out here so they’ll know if someone exited one of the vehicles and ran up in the bushes area because it’s street level," community activist Andrew Holmes said at the scene.
No one is in custody in connection with the shooting, according to police, as authorities continue to investigate.
The shooting was at least the second in the last week to shut down I-57, after someone opened fire on another vehicle early Friday near 127th Street, according to police. No one was injured in that incident.