There are five fewer potentially hazardous trees standing in the city of Chicago two days after NBC 5 Investigates reported a backlog of open service requests for tree trims in the city.
On Friday, Bureau of Forestry workers and a ComEd crew removed the five trees from city parkway near the 4500 block of W. Agatite, including a tree that had been leaning on power lines and resting on a building owned by the family of Karl Slowiak.
Slowiak said he had repeatedly voiced his concerns to the city in order to protect pedestrians from possible danger and to keep his building from being damaged.
“Hats off to the Channel 5 news team. The tree removal crew removed all five trees from the property today. Your prompt action has indeed made my day and Chicago a safer place to live,” Slowiak said.
A spokesperson for 39th Ward Ald. Margaret Laurino said the alderman helped expedite the tree removal process after NBC 5 investigates contacted the office for comment.
City data shows 10,492 open service requests for “tree trims” since May. It’s important to note that some requests may have been made for the same trees.
The Department of Streets and Sanitation said it works diligently to remove or trim trees that are dead or hazardous. A spokesperson said when the tree removal or trimming involves electrical lines, the department must collaborate and coordinate with ComEd to avoid any hazard to tree-trimmers and other passersby.