Festival-goers heading to Lollapalooza this weekend can take advantage of additional service on Metra and the CTA as well as a special discounted three-day Metra pass.
Metra announced Monday it would add service "to allow concert-goers to focus on the music and not the headaches of sitting in traffic and finding a place to park."
Beginning July 31 and continuing through the last day of the festival Aug. 2, Metra will add extra trains, expand passenger capacity and adjust schedules on eight of its 11 lines to accommodate an expected increase in passengers. Lines with added service include Milwaukee North, Milwaukee West, Union Pacific North, Union Pacific Northwest and Union Pacific West.
The complete schedules for each line over the weekend can be found on Metra's website.
Metra will also offer a $10 train pass for the entire three-day event. The pass will be sold at ticket windows as well as onboard trains.
Last year, Metra sold 19,905 discounted tickets for Lollapalooza weekend and provided nearly 100,000 additional rides.
Anyone riding Metra during the three-day event will not be allowed to bring alcoholic beverages or glass containers onto the trains after 7 p.m. Friday through the end of the day Sunday. Bicycle warning dates will also be in effect throughout the weekend.
All CTA train lines except the Pink and Purple Lines will provide extra service beginning July 31 and lasting through Aug. 2:
- Blue Line: On Friday, longer trains will operate until 11:30 p.m. with increased frequency between 7 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, longer trains will operate from 1:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Red Line: On Friday, longer trains will operate until midnight with increased frequency from 6 p.m. to midnight. On Saturday and Sunday, longer trains will operate until midnight with increased frequency from 95th/Dan Ryan beginning at 6:30 p.m. until midnight.
- Brown Line: On Friday, longer trains will operate until 11 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, longer trains will operate beginning at 10 a.m. until 11 p.m.
- Green Line: On Friday, longer trains will operate from Harlem/Lake until 10 p.m. and from Ashland/63rd until 11 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, longer trains will operate from Harlem/Lake beginning at 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. and from 63rd/Cottage Grove until 11 p.m.
- Orange Line: On Friday, longer trains will operate until11 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, longer trains will operate from 10 a.m. until 11 p.m.
Nine CTA buses will also be rerouted due to Lollapalooza street closures beginning July 29 at 12 p.m. through Aug. 5 at 12 p.m. These include the #2 Hyde Park Express, #6 Jackson Park Express, #7 Harrison, #10 Museum of Science and Industry, #J14 Jeffery Jump, #26 South Shore Express, #126 Jackson, #143 Stockton/Michigan Express and #147 Outer Drive Express.