In this segment of Cafe 5, Chef Jose Torres, the executive chef of The Village, shares the recipe for "Rigatoni Di Franco" in celebration of Italian Village's annual Ferrari Fest, set to take place Sunday.
The recipe was developed by the restaurant's second-generation owner, the late Frank Capitanini. The Village is said to be the oldest Italian restaurant in Chicago, established in 1927.
Italian Village's 21st annual Ferrari Fest is a free event featuring 40 ferraris lining Monroe Street between Clark and Dearborn. It takes place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday.
Rigatoni Di Franco
1 ½ lbs. chicken thigh meat, ground
2 Cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 TBSP fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Tomato Sauce
4 TBSP fresh basil, julienned
4 TBSP Parmigiana cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 ½ lbs. rigatoni, cooked
• Add olive oil to pan and heat on medium
• Add ground chicken, lightly sauté for four minutes
• Add cherry tomatoes and garlic; cook until tomatoes start to break down
• Add chicken broth and tomato sauce; cook until incorporated and hot
• Add basil and remove from heat
• Add cooked rigatoni and mix gently; top with grated Parmigiana