In this segment of Dishing With Chicago chefs, Eddie Bauer from Bauer Catering in Libertyville talks about his county fair fare with a twist.
The recipe comes ahead of the Lake County Fair, which runs July 25-29.
Grandma Bauer’s Waffle Recipe
A favorite at the annual Lake County Fair in Grayslake
*Makes 5-6 waffles, depending on size of waffle iron*
1 cup flour
¼ cup cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
1) Whisk flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. In another bowl whisk milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla together until blended.
2) Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just mixed. Let set for 15 minutes so the baking powder has time to activate.
3) Spray waffle iron with cooking spray, then heat iron until its ready, cook for approximately 3 minutes.
Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
• While waffle is cooking, (and you may want to do prior to cooking) – use ice cream from a box, so you can cut into squares that will fit your waffle. If waffles are round, you can use a cookie cutter.
• Place ice cream on top of waffle and top with another waffle.
• “Messy” home version: drizzle chocolate, caramel or strawberry syrup on ice cream before you top with 2nd waffle, Dust with powdered sugar.
• Use one waffle, top with ice cream –and sprinkle chosen topping - chocolate, butterscotch or caramel syrup; fresh berries; crumbled cookes or small candy pieces -- and top with whip cream, cherry and chopped nuts.