The 2015 Chicago Air & Water show will soar along the city’s lakefront this weekend, featuring returning headliners the Blue Angels.
This year's headliners include the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights and the U.S. Navy Leap Frogs. The seven-plane Breitling Jet Team from France will also make its Chicago debut during its U.S. tour.
More than two million spectators are expected in the city to watch the skies during the annual two-day event, which takes place Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Looking for a good spot to watch? Here’s a list of places to try:
- North Avenue beach will be the best viewing area, if you don’t mind the crowds.
- The event will also be visible from Fullerton Beach all the way to Oak Street Beach and beyond
- Ohio Street beach will also offer a good vantage point
- Anywhere along the lakefront from parks to fields to even Navy Pier
- Several cruises will be available during the event, including ones by the Odyssey, Spirit of Chicago and Mystic Blue
- Fans can watch planes take off and lane at the Gary Jet Center
- Primary accessible seating is available for people with disabilities at the north end of the North Avenue Beach House viewing stands
- The 360 CHICAGO observation deck in the John Hancock Center will host a 2-day viewing event to mark the show
- If you’re looking to listen to live coverage of the event, tune in to AM 780 or FM 105.9
Traveling around the city could also be a challenge. Here are some tips for commuters, where you’re attending or just trying to get around:
- Public transportation is encouraged for getting to the festivities. The Chicago Transit Authority and Metra will provide extra service for the event.
- Longer trains will operate from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on the CTA’s Blue, Brown, Green and Orange lines both Saturday and Sunday.
- Extra bus service will be provided on the no. 72 North Avenue and the no. 151 Sheridan routes from 9 a.m. until one hour after the event ends.
- Divvy bikes will offer valet service at select stations Saturday and Sunday for those thinking of biking to the event.
- There will be parking restrictions posted in the area. Parking is available at Millennium Garages, which offer free shuttles to and from North Avenue Beach.
- SpotHero will offer $10 off parking reservations for those who use the promo code AIRANDWATER
For more things you should know about the event, click here.