If you thought the city of Chicago would rank higher than its suburban counterparts when it comes to being one of the country’s biggest burger meccas – you’d be wrong.
Delivery service GrubHub combed through millions of meals ordered in 2014 and revealed which cities actually take the cake as the nation’s burger capitals. Four Illinois cities made the list for submitting the highest number of annual orders to satisfy a hamburger craving.
It found that suburban Skokie (#17) orders the most burgers for the state of Illinois. Harwood Heights takes second place (#19), and Chicago comes in third (#26). Berwyn lands as the fourth spot, ranking 29th in the nation.
As for the city who eats more burgers than any other? The study shows Knoxville, Tennessee can accurately call themselves the nation's burger capital. Runner-up is Ypsilati, Michigan, followed by North Hollwood, California and San Antonio, Texas. St. Louis, Missouri rounds out the top five.
Here are the 10 most-ordered burgers in Chicago, according to orders placed last year:
1. Cheeseburger – Slim’s, 2020 West Montrose Avenue
2. Cheeseburger – Hamburger Heaven, 3002 South Archer Avenue
3. Double Cheeseburger – Slims, 2020 West Montrose Avenue
4. The Famous Kuma Burger – Kuma’s Too, 666 West Diversey Parkway
5. Mastodon Burger – Kuma’s Too, 666 West Diversey Parkway
6. Bison Pita Burger, Bountiful Eatery, 3112 North Broadway Street
7. Burger – Barnelli’s Pasta Bowl/Portillo’s Hot Dogs, 100 West Ontario Street
8. DIY Burger – Rock’s Lakeview, 3463 North Broadway Street
9. Quarter-Pound Char-Broiled Burger – Choppers, 1659 North Ashland
10. The Famous Kuma Burger – Kuma’s Corner, 2900 West Belmont