Skinned - NBC Chicago
Grizzly Detail | The Chicago Bears NFL Football Blog
Awful good coverage of the Chicago Bears




    Getty Images
    CHICAGO - OCTOBER 24: Jay Cutler #6 of the Chicago Bears is sacked by Rocky McIntosh #52 of the Washington Redskins at Soldier Field on October 24, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois.

    Ugly football reigned as the Washington Redskins fumbled their way to a 17-14 victory Sunday over the Bears at Soldier Field.

    The game was chock full of turnovers, sloppy play and a feeling that neither team really wanted to win.

    Jay Cutler had a terrible game. The Bears QB had an easier time connecting with Redskins Cornerback DeAngelo Hall than his own team. Hall picked off Cutler four times, once for a touchdown.

    Throughout the contest, Cutler was pressured and sacked four times.

    The offensive line appeared to gel for a spell heading into the half. Cutler went 7-for-7 on a scoring drive, divvying up short passes to Devin Hester and Earl Bennett. He then hit Johnny Knox for 13 yards, then 11 to get the Bears in the red zone. After a short Matt Forte gain, Cutler danced to avoid Redskins pressure and connected with Knox at the back corner of the end zone for the touchdown.

    Once Cutler had more time, however, he began tossing interceptions in the second half.

    Perhaps hearing the criticism during the week, offensive coordinator Mike Martz did go to the running game more often, and Chester Taylor and Forte had some nice runs.  But Forte fumbled on a key drive.

    As Bears fans have become accustomed to, the defense played well enough to keep the Bears in the game. D.J. Moore started the game well, helping out the Bears offense in scoring on a pick six. He hit McNabb mid-throw. Israel Idonije batted the ball up, and Moore caught the ball and returned it for a 54-yard touchdown.

    Idonije had a monster game, finishing with four tackles, a sack and a deflected pass. The defense did suffer a setback, however, when Lance Briggs reinjured his ankle and left the game.

    The second half of the game became a comedy of errors, with both teams giving up the ball often. Six offensive drives in a row -- three by the Bears, three by the Redskins -- ended in a turnover. The only time a team came close to scoring off the turnovers was when the Redskins tried for a field goal, but Graham Gano's kick bounced off the top of the left upright, producing a loud clank as it sailed awkwardly.

    The Bears did break their two-game long streak of third-down ineptitude. In the third quarter, Cutler connected with Hester for a seven-yard game. It was the first time Cutler had engineered a third-down conversion since before he suffered a concussion in the game against the Giants.

    The Bears will now enjoy a bye week, and after this game, it's exactly what they -- and Bears fans -- really need.