A space heater pumping out dangerous gas is suspected of causing the deaths of a couple in the Far South Side Roseland neighborhood.
Theddis Provall, 43, and his wife, 42-year-old Lisa Lewis, were found dead in their bed early Friday morning by their daughter.
"She said it was freezing" in the home," said Gwendolyn Robinson, a cousin of the daughter. "I am just in shock. I can't believe something like this could happen. It is just a tragic accident."
"Her father was like ice cold," she said.
Lewis' sister, Virginia Hull, said the family has lived in the home, in the 200 block of West 111th Place, since 1976 when Lewis' grandmother purchased it. The couple had been together for 25 years and lived in the home for the last 20, Hull said.
High levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home, said a spokesperson with the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
Calumet District police Capt. James O’Donnell said foul play is not suspected in the deaths. Autopsies are scheduled for Saturday.
Officials with Chicago's Office of Emergency Management and Communications said Friday afternoon that they've received nearly 100 calls for "no heat" since 9 p.m. Thursday.
The air temperature overnight dipped to a low of -4.