|Full Coverage: Blizzard 2011|
The city of Chicago and its surrounding suburbs are working on digging themselves out from under heaps of snow.
It's a slow process.
- As of 3 p.m. more that 35,000 Com Ed customers were without power.
- 2,200 flights were canceled out of O'Hare Airport. 400 from Midway.
- Hundreds of cars are still stuck along Lake Shore Drive.
- Freezing temperatures are on the way.
- Chicago Public Schools will close for a second day in a row.
- All seven city college campuses will close, as well as their day care centers.
City officials recommended a number of tips for Chicagoans to deal with the clean up.
- Wait until severe weather, especially the sub-zero temps that are moving in, is over before digging out.
- Be sure space heaters are safely positioned.
- Take care of elderly residents.
- Don't walk in the middle of roads, especially Lake Shore Drive.
- Take rail service, and buses.