A video surfaced from Friday afternoon showing bugs crawling through a bag of clothing on a CTA train. Chicago Transit Authority officials said the bag belonged to a homeless person. Once the passenger who filmed the video reported it, the car was immediately pulled from service to be disinfected, transit officials said.
Removing a toxic air pollutant has unearthed a new health danger on Chicago’s Southeast Side. Federal and city officials discovered high levels of a type of heavy metal, known as manganese, while investigating piles of black dust known as petcoke. Officials say it was detected a few years ago and that the substance has since been removed. The Chicago Tribune reports officials believe S.H.Bell, a company along the Calumet River, is behind the manganese, but the company has denied that. Manganese can cause permanent damage to the nervous system and is linked to learning disabilities, memory loss, and anxiety.