Lawsuits Filed in Downstate Megabus Crash

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    AP
    The Megabus is pulled away from the bridge support Thursday evening Aug. 2, 2012 on southbound Interstate 55 north of Litchfield, Ill.

    Three lawsuits have been filed on behalf of passengers injured when a Megabus slammed into a bridge pillar along a southern Illinois freeway.

    Clifford Law Offices filed a lawsuit Monday in Cook County on behalf of 19-year-old Jamie Schultz.
    Defendants include Megabus USA and the driver. Power, Rogers and Smith law firm says it has filed two lawsuits in Cook County. One on behalf of passenger Mary Jane Klein and her two sons and the other on behalf of passenger Lewis Vaughn IV.

    The passengers were aboard the double-decker Megabus on Interstate 55 on Aug. 2 near Litchfield when authorities believe a tire blew out. One person died in the crash.

    Without addressing the lawsuit, Megabus.com says the company is "deeply saddened by the incident."

    Gov. Pat Quinn last week called for a federal investigation into the company after the incident near Litchfield and a second fatal crash days later in Chicago.