Chicago Department of Transportation Commissioner Gabe Klein explains how the corrals will help businesses.
Chicago leaders continue their efforts to make the city more bike-friendly by installing bike corrals in Andersonville.
Bike corrals are racks installed on the curbside lane of the street instead of on the sidewalk.
Six of the corrals were installed along the main business district on Clark Street.
City officials plan to erect more than 25 bicycle corrals in various neighborhood business corridors this summer, which means Chicago will have more corrals than San Francisco, which started installing them years ago.
"The bike corrals are packed. As soon as you put them down, they are full of bikes and being turned over constantly," Chicago Department of Transportation Commissioner Gabe Klein said at a Friday news conference. "One parking space for a car can hold 12 bikes. That's 12 customers for the local people who are shopping in these businesses."
CDOT says the corrals cost about $3,300 each. Businesses and local chambers of commerce help fund their installation, the department said in a release.
By the end of the month, CDOT plans to have installed bike corrals in the following locations:
• Revolution Brewing, 2323 N. Milwaukee Ave.
• Flat Iron Building, 1565 N. Milwaukee Ave.
• Café Jumping Bean, 1439 W. 18th St.
• Hopleaf, 5148 N. Clark St.
• Sofo Tap, 4923 N. Clark St.
• Make Way for People Spot Corral, 5226 N. Clark St.
• Cheetah Gym, 5248 N. Clark St.
• Coffee Studio, 1561 W. Olive Ave.
• Bikram Yoga, 5715 N. Clark St.
• Simone's, 960 W. 18th St.
• Metropolis, 1039 W. Granville Ave.
• Kitchen Sink, 1107 W. Berwyn Ave.
• Intuit Gallery, 756 N. Milwaukee Ave.
• Boiler Room, 2210 N. California Ave.
• Village Cyclery, 1337 N. Wells St.
• Medici, 1327 E. 57th St.
• Longman and Eagle, 2657 N. Kedzie Ave.
• Six Corners Chamber of Commerce, 4710 W. Irving Park Road
• Fleet Feet, 1620 N. Wells St.
• Lucky's Sandwiches, 1635 N. Milwaukee Ave.
• FLATS Chicago: 5411 N. Winthrop Ave.; 5718 N. Winthrop Ave.; 5051 N. Kenmore Ave.; and 1325 W. Wilson Ave.