At least eight passengers are suing Megabus after they were injured in a double-decker bus crash on earlier this month on I-65 outside of Indianapolis.
The lawsuit claims the bus had mechanical failures and never should have been on the road. Passengers said they received emails from Megabus mid-trip and the bus driver made public announcements about the bus’ mechanical failures.
“In light of the bus driver’s announcement and the Megabus email acknowledging a mechanical failure with the bus," attorney Thomas A. Zimmerman, Jr. said in a statement, "we obtained an emergency order from the Court to preserve the bus and its components so that we can have it examined by an expert.”
The suit alleges Megabus was negligent in maintaining and operating the bus.
Sean Hughes, associate director of corporate affairs for Megabus.com said the company believes "it is premature for anyone to comment on the cause of the accident while the investigation is ongoing. However, Megabus.com has no reason to believe that faulty wipers caused or contributed to the happening of this accident."
"Megabus.com takes the safety of our passengers as its number one priority, consistently going above and beyond federal requirements," Hughes said.
The bus was traveling from Atlanta to Chicago on Oct. 14 when it crashed and rolled onto its side at about 4:25 a.m. in Greenwood, Indiana. Between 50 and 60 people were on board, and officials said at least 18 people suffered injuries.
State police Sgt. Shawn O'Keefe told reporters the driver apparently tried to avoid an accident when the crash happened.
Passengers who filed a lawsuit a day after the crash said they could hear the bus driver complaining about the windshield wipers not working.
Their lawsuit states that each plaintiff suffered "personal injuries, financial damages and subsequent medical expenses." Injuries included a separated shoulder, knocked-out teeth and numerous facial cuts that required stitches.