It's still the best restaurant in Chicago, according to Restaurant magazine, but Alinea this year isn't a top 10 finisher across the globe.
With Chef Grant Achatz at the helm, Alinea on Monday was ranked No. 15 -- down from last year's 7th place -- in the annual "World’s 50 Best Restaurants" awards announced in London. Alinea had been in the top 10 since 2009
The top spot on the list went to El Celler de Can Roca, in Girona, Spain, which supplanted Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The U.S. restaurants recognized this year were:
#5 Eleven Madison Park, in New York City
#11 Per Se, in New York City
#15 Alinea, in Chicago
#19 Le Bernardin, in New York City
#29 Daniel, in New York City
#47 The French Laundry, in Yountville, CA
The Top 10:
- El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
- Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
- Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
- Eleven Madison Park, New York, United States
- D.O.M., Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, Britain
- Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
- Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
- Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
The complete list was published to the website of the ranking's sponsor, S. Pellegrino.