Chicago Still Seeks Taste Partner

Daley wants a private partner whose focus is food, not music

Tuesday, Feb 8, 2011  |  Updated 1:45 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
PHOTOS: 2010 Taste Food Guide

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Last week, Mayor Daley rejected the lone bidder whose latest offer to take Taste of Chicago private included an admission fee of $10 per person.

Now, with about five months left before the fest begins, the city is still looking for a taker on Daley's terms: no admission and a focus on food instead of music, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Daley said during an unrelated press conference that there's still time to find the ideal private partner to manage this summer's Taste and other city festivals -- a partner unlike Celebrate Chicago, which initially suggested hiking Taste of Chicago admission to $20 per person and attracting big-money bands.

"It's a food festival," Daley said earlier this year. "You go down there for 12 days for food and beverages, that's what it was for. It's not the music festival. That's unacceptable."

Still, Chicago has lost millions on the festival and Daley said today it's too expensive for the city to keep running it.

This year's Taste of Chicago is slated to run from June 25 to July 4.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out