"Biggest Loser" Nutritionist Talks Food
Updated 8:49 AM CST, Tue, Dec 14, 2010
Pumpkin Flan Recipe
Nothing signals the holiday season more than pumpkin, and this flan allows you to showcase it in a new, delicious way. Do away with pie crust and concentrate on yummy pumpkin flavor in this light, not-too-sweet flan.
Canola oil cooking spray
3 eggs, omega-3-enriched if available
1 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
7 tablespoons (1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons) maple syrup
5 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk, heated until very hot
Boiling water, about 1 quart
Ground nutmeg (garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Adjust oven rack to center position. Coat eight 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins with canola oil cooking spray and set them in 13 X 9-inch baking pan.
2. In large bowl, beat eggs slightly; add pumpkin purée, maple syrup, canola oil, vanilla, spices and salt. Beat with mixer until blended thoroughly. Mix in hot milk until blended. There will be about 4 cups of liquid. Pour 1/2 cup flan mixture into each prepared ramekin.
3. Carefully pour boiling water into baking pan around ramekins. Water should come up to level of custard inside ramekins.
4. Bake 40-45 minutes or until set around the edges but still a little loose in center. When center of flan is just set, it will jiggle a little when shaken. Remove from oven and immediately remove ramekins from water bath; cool on wire rack until room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
5. Serve cold and garnish with ground nutmeg. This dessert can be made up to 3 days in advance. Keep refrigerated until serving.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1 flan.
Cook's note: Use leftover pumpkin purée in a smoothie with yogurt, milk, sweet spices (cinnamon, ginger, cloves) and a drizzle of agave nectar, honey or maple syrup.
Nutrient Analysis Per Serving
· Calories 190
· Calories from fat 70
· Total Fat 7 g
· Saturated Fat 1.5 g
· Cholesterol 110 mg
· Sodium 220 mg
· Total Carbohydrate 24 g
· Fiber 2 g
· Sugar 18 g
· Protein 6 g
First Published: Dec 14, 2010 1:48 AM CST