Head Lice + Gasoline = Very Bad Hair Day

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009  |  Updated 1:44 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Weird News Photos: Holiday Edition

Lesson of the day: gasoline NOT required.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A teenager in Evansville, Ind., who soaked her hair in gasoline to try to kill head lice was critically burned when the gas fumes ignited and set her head ablaze, police said.

Jessica Brooks, 18, was in her apartment's bathroom letting her hair soak in gasoline in an effort to get rid of the lice when a pilot light from a water heater ignited the gas fumes and her hair.

Brooks is in serious condition at the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville, Ky., following Sunday night's fire at her Evansville apartment. Brooks' roommate told the Evansville Courier & Press that Brooks was in a medically induced coma.

Brooks and her fiance, Ronald Young, had planned to wed in May. Young suffered burns on his arms trying to extinguish the flames.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out