Dolphins' Brandon Marshall Temporarily Handcuffed in Taxi Driver Dispute

Marshall told deputies that he had no idea what was going on with the taxi driver, and that he was just trying to get home.

By Gaby Carpio and Lisa Orkin Emmanuel
|  Wednesday, Nov 30, 2011  |  Updated 7:39 PM CDT
View Comments (
Photos, Docs Released in Brandon Marshall Case

Getty Images

MIAMI - AUGUST 14: Wide Receiver Brandon Marshall #19 of the Miami Dolphins warms up prior to playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a preseason game at Sun Life Stadium on August 14, 2010 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Marc Serota/Getty Images)

Photos and Videos

Bloody Clip and Gun Recovered at Marshall Stabbing Scene

Recently obtained police reports detail the bloody scene of Brandon Marshall's stabbing -- and unusual behavior from one BSO sergeant.

Photos, Docs Released in Brandon Marshall Case

The Broward State Attorney released the Brandon Marshall case including his statement to authorities, photos and other documents. Ari Odzer takes a look.
More Photos and Videos

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall was temporarily handcuffed earlier this month after a dispute with two taxi drivers about a cab fare.

According to a Broward Sheriff's Office Event Report, on Nov. 14, taxi driver Yenbeve Saint-Remy waved down a deputy at Port Everglades regarding the passenger in his cab.

Saint-Remy told deputies that a dispatcher at Miami Springs Taxi company advised him that the man in his cab, Marshall, had refused to pay his previous fare.  Marshall exited the cab and was placed in handcuffs, report said.

Marshall told deputies that he had no idea what was going on with the taxi driver, and that he was just trying to get home, the report said.

Other deputies, who had taken the report from Miami Springs Taxi, were called, and they said they had received a call regarding a man who had refused to pay his cab fare at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

A deputy was told that Marshall told the taxi driver to let him out to use the bathroom in order to avoid paying $142 dollars,and he then walked out an exit and then entered another taxi, the report said.

Marshall told deputies that he was at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach and took the cab from there to his home in Southwest Ranches, the report said. But Marshall said that when he awoke, he was at the airport.

Marshall said he told the driver that he was supposed to take him home and not the airport, the report said.

Marshall also said the driver was hard to understand because of the accent, and instead of arguing, he just walked away.

The second taxi driver, Peterson Pierre, was interviewed by deputies as well. Pierre said he just wanted his $142 fair to be paid.
Marshall agreed to pay both men, and they said they were satisfied and didn't want to further pursue the case.  Marshall and the two driver apologized to each other for the misunderstanding.

Broward Sheriff Office said it was a civil matter.

Marshall's agent told the South Florida Times in an email that his client was innocent.

"It was a communication issue, more of language barrier, in not understanding Mr. Marshall's destination," Kennard McGuire said. Marshall "was simply getting someone to help translate."

McGuire didn't immediately respond to an email or  telephone message left after hours by NBC Miami.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out