Former NBA player Scottie Pippen attends Game 2 of the NBA basketball Eastern Conference finals between the Miami Heat and the Chicago Bulls, Wednesday, May 18 in Chicago.
Scottie Pippen took legal issue this week with several media outlets who he says falsely reported he filed for bankruptcy.
The former Bulls star filed a $9 million federal lawsuit Tuesday in Chicago claiming the reports earlier this year were wrong and damaging, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
Pippen ‘‘never filed for bankruptcy and indeed has a substantial net worth, which has not been less than approximately $40 million in the last 10 years," the lawsuit states.
The suit says a CNBC.com article listed Pippen as one of ‘‘15 Athletes Gone Bankrupt’’ in an April 26 article, and CBSSports.com included him in a Jan. 26 story titled ‘Money a problem for a lot of former players.’’
The suit, which names Comcast Corp., General Electric Co. and CBS Corp., among others, seeks at least $9 million in damages, claiming negligence, false light and defamation. NBC Universal is 51percent owned by Comcast.