Jay Cutler, pictured here on his feet, spent a lot of time on the ground last week. A repeat performance by left tackle Chris Williams could spell disaster.
Besides figuring out if they can keep a majority of their squad healthy, the Bears have some questions to answer in Pre-Season Week 3:
1. Do they have a stud receiver? Devin Hester, Johnny Knox and Devin Aromashodu are locks to make the Bears receiving corps, but Offensive Coordinator Mike Martz deploys more than three receivers when he's washing his car. Who's fleshing out this roster? Keep an eye on Rashied Davis Saturday. He should make strides.
2. Will Jay Cutler remain on his feet? Cutler went down five times in one half against the Raiders thanks to the weak play of left tackle Chris Williams. If Williams turns in a similar performance, look forward to a painful season.
3. Will Special Teams return to being special? Last week, halfback Desmond Clark filled in for Patrick Mannelly as the Bears long-snapper, and it was a disaster. But that wasn't the only issue on the typically solid squad. The Bears need to show improvement if they plan to compete.
4. Whither the Bubble Player? After tonight the Bears are going to have to make some difficult decision on whom to cut. Will the most famous pool jumper Jarron Gilbert show some on-the-field hops? Can Garrett Wolfe survive the purge? Is there a spot in the corp. for Tackle James Marten?
5. Who Else Is Going Down? Brian Urlacher is out with a calf. Earl Bennett; hamstring. Nick Roach, Major Wright , Craig Steltz Caleb Hanie, Josh Bullocks and Chris Harris are also banged up. Place your bets on the next meaningless pre-season injury now. We've got chips on someone of importance.