National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Warrant Links Hernandez to 2012 Boston Shooting

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Boston Globe via Getty Images
    ATTLEBORO, MA - AUGUST 22: Former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez at Attleboro District Court indicted on a charge of first-degree murder in the slaying of a Odin Lloyd, a Boston man whose bullet-riddled body was found in a North Attleborough industrial park in June. (Photo by John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

    A new search warrant released this week, provides details on how police allege former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez is connected to an unsolved drive-by double homicide in Boston in 2012.
     
    The warrant, which was issued in December, does not indicate who is believed to have pulled the trigger or suggest a motive.
     
    The warrant provides some of the first details of Hernandez's alleged link to the July 2012 shooting that killed Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu, 29, and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, 28, in Boston's South End.

    No charges have been filed in that case.
     
    Hernandez, a Bristol, Conn., native, was arrested in June 2013 in connection with last year's shooting death of Odin Lloyd, 27, whose body was found in an industrial park not far from Hernandez’s North Attleboro, Mass., home.
     
    Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder
     
    When Boston police learned of the Lloyd murder case, an officer investigating the 2012 double-murder in the South End recalled seeing surveillance footage showing “an individual clearly recognizable as Aaron Hernandez” entering a Boston club at the same time as the homicide victims, according to the warrant. Days after that shooting, witnesses told police they worked at a nearby nightclub and saw a silver SUV with Rhode Island plates at the scene, heard several rapidly fired gunshots and then saw the SUV speed off. But authorities were never able to find the car of identify a suspect.
     
    The warrant also goes into detail about a tipster who said he had information about the two murders being connected.  When asked how he came to know details, the tipster said “someone accidentally spilled the beans in front of me.”
     
    This information prompted police to go back through surveillance footage, paying specific attention to Hernandez’s movements on the morning of July 16, 2012.
     
    That footage shows Hernandez arriving at the Boston garage early on the morning of the shooting in a silver 2006 Toyota 4Runner, the warrant states.
     
    It also shows Hernandez entering the Boston nightclub Cure around 12:30 a.m., right after the victims, and leave 10 minutes later, according to the warrant.
     
    Later footage shows Hernandez and a man, later identified as Alexander Bradley, head to the garage and leave, according to the warrant.
     
    The license plate from the Boston surveillance footage matched the plate of the Toyota a Rhode Island car dealership had provided Hernandez in exchange for doing promotions, according to the warrant, and the dealership reported not seeing the car since May 2012.
     
    In June 2013, police searched a Lake Street home in Bristol connected to Hernandez, where they found the SUV in a locked garage, covered in dust and cobwebs, according to the warrant.
     
    A resident told police that Hernandez had left the car at the house a year earlier and no one else drives it.
     
    Police in Massachusetts also provided police in Bristol, Conn., with a photo of Hernandez and the other man from the Boston parking garage and local police identified the man as Bradley, who was being held in Hartford Correctional Center.
     
    In October, a warrant was issued for phone calls Bradley made from jail for any information that could aid in the Boston homicide case.