Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
A homeless man suspected of sexually assaulting a woman who gave him money in Richmond, California, earlier this month has been charged with a slew of felonies including rape by force, according to the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office.
Isaac Ybarra, 30, was charged last Tuesday with two counts of forcible rape, one count of making criminal threats and one count of attempted second-degree robbery in connection with the July 3 assault.
Police said the victim was walking on Cutting Boulevard near Carlson Boulevard around 6:30 a.m. when Ybarra approached and asked her for cash.
The woman handed over some money but the suspect continued to follow her and tried to engage her in conversation, according to Richmond police spokeswoman Sgt. Nicole Abetkov.
As the victim was walking away, Ybarrra grabbed her from behind, forced her to the ground and sexually assaulted her, Abetkov said.
Officers arriving in the area found Ybarra hiding underneath a car on South 34th Street and took him into custody with the aid of a police K-9, according to Abetkov.
The victim was taken to a hospital to be treated for injuries suffered in the assault.
Ybarra was booked into county jail in Martinez, where he is being held in lieu of $2.3 million bail.
He was also charged with multiple enhancements for having prior felony convictions, prosecutors said.