Dog Sickened From Chocolate Box Delivered by UPS

A woman says her dog got sick after eating a box of chocolate thrown over her fence by a UPS driver

By Tony Shin and Jason Kandel
|  Tuesday, Dec 24, 2013  |  Updated 12:10 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A German shepherd is recovering after nearly dying from eating several pounds of chocolate. The dog's owner blames a delivery man for the animals brush with death. Tony Shin reports from Ontario for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 23, 2013.

Tony Shin

A German shepherd is recovering after nearly dying from eating several pounds of chocolate. The dog's owner blames a delivery man for the animals brush with death. Tony Shin reports from Ontario for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 23, 2013.

Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A Southern California dog owner said she plans to file a complaint with UPS to try to recoup the $450 in vet bills she paid to save her dog’s life after it chewed into a box of chocolates she believes was thrown over the fence by a deliveryman.

Linda Taylor said her German shepherd, Sarge, nearly died on Monday after tearing into a box and eating several pounds of chocolate -- poison for dogs -- that was inside.

When Taylor contacted UPS to complain, she said they denied responsibility and said the driver followed company protocols.

"Chocolate eclairs, chocolate truffles, chocolate brownies, chocolate cake," said Taylor, of Phelan. "They told me they weren't going to cover it. They don't cover perishables. They don't cover vet bills…”

Read: Woman Jailed for Placing More Than 400 False 911 Calls

She took Sarge to the vet when he started acting strangely and it was touch and go for a while, she said. After 24 hours she was able to take her pet home.

Once there, she called UPS and demanded the company pay the $450 dollar vet bill.

Read: Widow's "Closure" Comes Six Decades After Korean War Veteran's Death

UPS spokeswoman Rhoda Daclison-Dickey said the driver placed the package over the fence to keep it out of the sun because it was labeled "perishable.”

Daclison-Dickey said the driver didn’t see the dogs, even though Taylor said she has surveillance video showing a truck pulling up to her home and the dog tearing up the chocolate box in the yard.

Read: Person Detained in Connection With Woman's West LA Stabbing

"They're standing behind their driver and saying the driver did nothing wrong, but I ended up with a dog that was in the vet’s office and could have died,” Taylor said.

If customers have any special delivery requirements, all they need to do is contact UPS, the Daclison-Dickey said. But Taylor said she did that after her dogs chewed up a package delivered the previous week.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out