NJ Mall Carjack Suspects Plead Not Guilty to Murder

By Samantha Henry
|  Wednesday, Jan 8, 2014  |  Updated 6:11 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Four men charged in the fatal carjacking of a young lawyer at a mall in Short Hills, N.J., pleaded not guilty. Pat Battle has more.

Four men charged in the fatal carjacking of a young lawyer at a mall in Short Hills, N.J., pleaded not guilty. Pat Battle has more.

Photos and Videos

New Details Revealed About Deadly Short Hills Carjacking

One of the suspects in the carjacking in which a man was killed in the parking garage of the Mall at Short Hills just got out of prison earlier this year and was still on probation. Jen Maxfield reports.

Man Killed by Carjackers Remembered as Friend to All

A man shot to death in front of his wife by carjackers at an upscale New Jersey mall was full of integrity and chivalry, insisting on carrying packages and heavy things for others, mourners recalled at his funeral Wednesday — noting that his final act was to open the car door for his wife. Brian Thompson has more.
More Photos and Videos

Four men charged in the fatal carjacking of a young lawyer at an upscale New Jersey mall 10 days before Christmas pleaded not guilty to felony murder and other charges at their arraignment.

Twenty-nine year-old Hanif Thompson of Irvington and Newark residents Karif Ford, 31, Basim Henry, 32, and Kevin Roberts, 33, are accused in the Dec. 15 carjacking and killing of Dustin Friedland outside The Mall at Short Hills. They pleaded not guilty through their public defenders Wednesday. 

Authorities say Friedland, a 30-year-old lawyer from Hoboken, was killed while returning to his car in the mall parking garage with his wife after a shopping trip. The carjackers confronted the couple and Friedland was shot in the head, authorities said. His wife was unharmed.

The assailants drove off in the couple's silver Range Rover, which was found the next morning in Newark, about 10 miles from Short Hills. Prosecutors have said the couple was targeted solely because of the make of their vehicle.

The four have been in custody since their arrests on $2 million bail, and a judge said Wednesday that the bail amount would continue.

Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray said the "sheer senselessness" of the crime outraged residents and led to tips pouring in from across Essex County.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out