Dog owners, beware: someone on the north side of the city has sprinkled squirrel poison on the ground.
Several dogs from the Rogers Park and Edgewater neighborhoods have died, and veterinarians have traced the deaths to the poison.
The poison has been found in alleyways and grassy areas. From a distance, the pile of poison can look like hamburger. It's not known if the poisonings were malicioius or unintentional, but it is illegal to place squirrel poison out in the open.
"In the community, all the pet businesses do a great job of getting the word out when something like this happens, and social media is the best way to do that," said Patti Colandera with the Bark Bark Club, a grooming and boarding business in the area.
Ald. Pat O'Connor (40th) on Thursday sent a Tweet warning dog owners of the danger.
Anyone who finds the poison should contact the city of Chicago information line at 311 or 312-744-5000.