No Bond for Mom Accused of Abducting Son a Second Time

Incident left Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart demanding answers as to why Taneil Curtis was even allowed a visitation

View Comments ()



    Taneil Curtis

    A south suburban woman accused of abducting her young son for the second time was ordered held without bond Sunday.

    Taneil Curtis, 32, abducted her 21-month-old son last month during a supervised visit at a South Holland restaurant, officials said.

    Sheriff Furious Over Child Abduction

    [CHI] Sheriff Furious Over Child Abduction
    Mother with violent past and history of abduction was arrested Friday after taking off with her young son a second time. Lauren Jiggetts reports. (Published Friday, Dec. 7, 2012)

    The incident left Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart demanding answers over why Curtis was even allowed a visitation.

    "This is a woman who's having all of her parental rights taken away on all of her other children, for God knows what reasons. She has active warrants out for her arrest. She tries to run over a case worker. The possibilities were limitless on how horrible this thing could have turned out," he said earlier this month.

    A Department of Children and Family Services employee was supervising Curtis and the boy when Curtis asked to get water for her son, then ran out the door with the child, authorities said.

    There were four warrants out for Curtis’ arrest when she was taken into custody on Dec. 7 in Memphis, Tenn., according to police. She was turned over to South Holland police on Dec. 14.

    Curtis is charged with child abduction, battery and two counts of financial identity theft.

    It was the second time Curtis had abducted the boy, sheriff’s police said. After giving birth, she left the hospital with the child without notifying DCFS, which had already taken custody of her three other children, citing a “substantial risk of physical harm.”

    After the first abduction, Curtis and the boy were found about a year later in Hammond, Ind., sheriff’s police said. The child had been in DCFS custody since.