Complete coverage of the Chicago NATO Summit

Post-Trial Hearing Scheduled for NATO 3

Activists face up to 30 years in prison under state sentencing guidelines

Friday, Feb 28, 2014  |  Updated 7:07 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

Sponsored

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...

    advertisement
    Photos and Videos
    More Photos and Videos

    A post-trial hearing is scheduled for NATO protesters acquitted earlier this month of Illinois terrorism charges.

    The three out-of-state activists are due in court Friday for the first time since their trial ended. They were convicted of lesser offenses, including arson.

    Known as the "NATO 3," Brian Church, 22, of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.; Jared Chase, 29, of Keane, N.H.; and Brent Vincent Betterly, 25, of Oakland Park, Fla.,  were accused of plotting Molotov cocktail attacks on several high-profile targets during the 2012 NATO summit in Chicago.

    Jurors rejected the most serious allegations accusing of terrorism.

    A Cook County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman says the judge will deal with post-trial motions, but won't sentence the three Friday. She says a sentencing date will likely be set in April.

    The activists face up to 30 years in prison under state sentencing guidelines, though they'll likely receive far less. One possibility is that a judge releases them on time served.

    Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
    View Comments (
    )
    |
    Email
    |
    Print
    Leave Comments
    What's New
    Get Our Weather App
    Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
    Follow Us
    Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
    Send Us Your Story Tips
    Check Out