Maine West Coach Cleared in Hazing Scandal

Judge Jeffrey Warnick found 37-year-old Michael Divincenzo not guilty of misdemeanor battery, hazing and failing to report abuse

By BJ Lutz and Charlie Wojciechowski
|  Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014  |  Updated 10:07 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fifth Student Alleges Hazing at Maine West

Michael Divincenzo (left) stands with attorneys Todd Pugh and Tom Breen.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Maine West Coach Dismissed in Hazing Scandal

For roughly three hours Wednesday evening, district officials heard from former players and parents who defended Michael DiVinsenzo. Lauren Jiggetts reports.

Fifth Student Alleges Hazing at Maine West

In a lawsuit filed Monday in Cook County, the boy, now 16, claims the attack happened behind the bleachers on the soccer team's practice field in September of last year. Rob Stafford reports.
More Photos and Videos

A circuit court judge on Wednesday dismissed a case against a former high school soccer coach charged after allegations of hazing.

Judge Jeffrey Warnick found 37-year-old Michael Divincenzo not guilty of misdemeanor battery,  hazing and failing to report abuse. Had he been found guilty, the former Maine West High School coach faced up to a year in prison.

"I'm just very grateful for my lawyers and my family and my friends. It's been very hard, and I just really appreciate that I have such great people behind me," he said, breaking down into tears while flanked by his attorneys.

Prosecutors alleged Divincenzo was aware that some members of the school's soccer team he coached were being attacked by other students who would hold them down and, in some cases, sodomize them through their underwear. They said he perpetuated a culture of hazing and allege that after one incident he told a player "welcome to the team."

Divincenzo's attorneys maintained their client was unaware of the alleged hazing because it was students preying on students in these incidents. He turned down a plea deal offered by prosecutors last month.

Warnick put the trial on hold last month so attorneys from both sides could file briefs and so he could consider a defense motion to find Divincenzo not guilty.

When the trial resumed earlier Wednesday, Warnick quickly said the former coach was not guilty of failing to report abuse. Divincenzo's defense attorneys, having previously said they were not ready to mount a defense, rested their case.

The not guilty ruling on the remaining two charges came shortly thereafter.

Officials with for Maine Township High School District 207 fired Divincenzo a year ago, after the hazing allegations first surfaced. Freshman soccer coach Emilio Rodriguez was also fired and is currently fighting to keep his job.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out