7 Hospitalized After Logan Square CO Leak

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2013  |  Updated 9:45 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
7 Hospitalized After Logan Square CO Leak

Nationwide, there are about 500 deaths related to carbon monoxide poisoning each year. Another 15,000 people visit the emergency

advertisement

A blocked furnace may be to blame for a carbon monoxide leak in a Northwest Side Logan Square home that sent seven people to area hospitals Tuesday night.

First responders called to a home in the 2600 block of North Springfield Avenue shortly before 8 p.m. said they found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home.

Crews found 300 parts per million of the gas in the home, which can be fatal over a short period of time at that level, Fire Media Affairs spokesman Larry Langford said.

Seven people were taken to Norwegian-American Hospital and Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, all in good condition, according to fire officials.

A furnace in the residence had a blockage and was leaking the gas, Langford said.

People’s Gas crews have shut off the furnace, and emergency crews ventilated the home, Langford said.

A spokesman for the utility was not immediately available Tuesday evening.

Nationwide, there are about 500 deaths related to carbon monoxide poisoning each year. Another 15,000 people visit the emergency room with symptoms.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out