Indiana Girl Who Died From Tick Bite Had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever | NBC Chicago

Indiana Girl Who Died From Tick Bite Had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A tick bite may have led to the death of a young Indiana girl who fell dangerously ill in a matter of days last week, family members said.

    (Published Wednesday, June 7, 2017)

    The mother of a 2-year-old central Indiana girl who died after being bitten by a tick during a camping trip says lab tests confirmed she was infected with Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

    Kenley Ratliff of Plainfield died June 4 at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. Her mother, Kayla Conn, says lab tests showed her daughter tested positive for Rocky Mountain spotted fever, a tick-borne bacterial infection that can be deadly if not promptly treated.

    Conn tells WTHR-TV she'd never heard of the illness. She's urging others to be aware of the dangers of tick-borne diseases.

    Kenley fell ill after returning from a camping trip during which a tick bit her. A doctor says she was in the advanced stages of the illness within days of arriving at Riley Hospital.

    Experts Provide Safety Advice in Wake of Uptick in Ticks

    [CHI] Experts Provide Safety Advice in Wake of Uptick in Ticks

    Experts are predicting a massive surge in the tick population around the Chicago area this summer, and with milder weather making the dangerous critters more prevalent, NBC 5’s Lisa Chavarria has more on what you can do to stay safe.

    (Published Friday, June 9, 2017)

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android