Priest Who Jumped from Balcony Charged With Sex Assault

Rev. Alejandro Flores accused of abusing child over five-year period

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Chicago Sun-Times
    Alejandro Flores

    A Roman Catholic priest who jumped from a church balcony in a purported suicide attempt has been charged with predatory criminal sexual assault.

    The Rev. Alejandro Flores was also charged Wednesday with four counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse and two counts of criminal sexual assault.

    Joliet Bishop Apologizes

    [CHI] Joliet Bishop Apologizes
    Joliet Bishop J. Peter Sartain offers an apology to a boy and his family who accused a priest of abuse.

    The Kane County state's attorney's office says the 37-year-old Bolivian-born priest abused a St. Charles child over a five-year period between Jan. 1, 2005 and Jan 1, 2010.

    Upon learning of the accusations, Bishop J. Peter Sartain said he immediately removed Flores of his priestly faculties and placed him on administrative leave.

    Flores was released from the hospital Wednesday and taken into custody by Kane County authorities. He had been hospitalized since the fall from the balcony at St. Mary's Carmelite Church in Joliet on Jan. 6.

    It hasn't been determined if Flores has an attorney. Kane County State's Attorney John Barsanti says Flores' bond has been set at $1 million.