5th Person Pleads Not Guilty in Derrion Albert's Death

Lapoleon Colbert charged in January with first-degree murder, mob action

Tuesday, Mar 9, 2010  |  Updated 8:45 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Mugs in the News

Chicago Police

Lapoleon Colbert, 19, is the fifth teen charged in the brutal Fenger beating and is expected to appear in court for a bond hearing, police say.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

The fifth person charged with the fatal beating of Fenger High School honors student Derrion Albert pleaded not guilty to murder charges Tuesday.

Lapoleon Colbert, 19, of the 30 block of West 113th Street, pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and one count of mob action before Judge Nicholas Ford, Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said.

Colbert is seen on the video stomping and kicking Albert’s head while he was on the ground during the Sept. 24 melee, Asst. State’s Atty. Kevin DeBoni said at Colbert's bond hearing last month.

Albert was caught in a fight between two groups of students -- one from the Altgeld Gardens neighborhood and another who live in an area known as the "Ville," DeBoni said. He was struck in the head with a wooden railroad tie, stomped, punched and pushed to the ground, he said.

The brawl, which started after school at 242 W. 111th St, was allegedly related to a shooting earlier that day, but Albert didn’t belong to either of the feuding groups, according to DeBoni.

Colbert will join the previously charged Silvonus Shannon, 19; Eric Carson, 16; and Eugene Riley, 18; for a status hearing on April 13, Simonton said. The fifth person charged is a 14-year-old.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out