Fatal Fire Blamed on Overloaded Extension Cord

By BJ Lutz
|  Sunday, Oct 11, 2009  |  Updated 1:05 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Jayla's Uncle: I Just Kept Hollering Her Name

Two-year-old Jayla Ray died in the fire at her relatives' home in Garfield Park.

Photos and Videos

Jayla's Uncle: I Just Kept Hollering Her Name

Jayla Ray's uncle says he tried to save her from the fire, but neither he nor firefighters could get to her in time.
More Photos and Videos

A fire in a two-story East Garfield Park neighborhood building that took the life of a 2-year-old girl Friday night was likely the result of an overloaded extension cord, authorities said.

Authorities said the call came in about the fire, in the 2900 block of West Lexington Street, shortly after 11 p.m.

The girl, Jayla Ray, was rescued from the fire and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in "very critical condition," a fire department spokesman said.  She later died, and a Saturday autopsy ruled the death an accident caused by carbon monoxide intoxication, inhalation of smoke and soot and apartment fire, according to the medical examiner's office.

The little girl and her six-year-old brother were being babysat Friday night by an aunt, the Chicago Sun-Times reported, citing a neighbor, Sherice Davis.

Officials said there were no smoke detectors in the home.  Fire Media Affairs Cmdr. Will Knight said residents without smoke detectors can pick up one up, free of charge, from any Chicago fire department or alderman's office.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out