Even as some fire crews kept their attention on a smoldering warehouse, others were called to a fire at a two-story building just a few blocks away.
The house fire, on the 1400 block of 50th court, was initially reported at about 3:30 a.m. and quickly spread to the home next door, Town of Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania said.
Firefighters said all the people in the buildings were accounted for and there were no injuries. The home where the fire started was a total loss, said Cicero Fire Chief Ron Opalecky.
He said in his 26 years he's never had such a busy night in such extreme conditions. Firefighters fought the fire in single-digit temperatures. Their coats and helmets were covered in ice. Cars were stuck in the ice that formed from all of the water.
Hanania said the Cicero Alternative School, at 1874 S. 54th Ave., would remain closed Wednesday morning. The school was used as a warming center for firefighters and emergency response teams.
The first fire, at a warehouse on 54th Avenue, completely destroyed the structure.