Chicago fire investigators on Thursday were investigating a string of early morning garage fires in the Bridgeport neighborhood, including one that caused flame-licked electrical transformers to explode.
Crews were called to three fires on the 3600 block of South Street during the 4 a.m. hour. No injuries were reported in any of those incidents and firefighters were able to quickly douse the flames.
A fire that started shortly before 6 a.m. in an alley-facing garage on the 3300 block of South Morgan Street was a little more significant. Crews from Commonwealth Edison were called in to shut down the power to the area after sparks emanated from overhead power lines and transformers.
Officials said a car inside the garage was on fire.
One ambulance transported a firefighter to Mercy Hospital & Medical Center but the injury was not believed to be serious.
Crews were able to keep the fire away from neighboring structures and had the fire out by 6:20 a.m.
There was no confirmation from fire officials that the incidents were works of arsonists, but residents in the area said arson investigators were in the neighborhood.