The Chicago Park District will again be collecting trees for recycling and offering free mulch.
Beginning Saturday, Jan. 5, and continuing through Friday, Jan. 18, residents can take their real Christmas trees -- not the artificial variety -- to about two dozen locations at city parks to be chipped and turned to mulch.
The mulch will be available for free to residents on a limited basis at the tree recycling locations beginning Jan. 11.
Before dropping off a tree, all ornaments, lights and stands should be removed as the sites are not able to accept other materials, such as decorations, wreaths, garland or household recyclables.
Tree recycling sites are:
- Bessemer Park, 8930 S. Muskegon Ave.
- Clark Park, 3400 N. Rockwell Ave.
- Forestry Site, 900 E. 103rd St.
- Garfield Park, 100 N. Central Park Ave.
- Grant Park, 900 S. Columbus Dr.
- Humboldt Park Boathouse, 1369 N. Sacramento Blvd.
- Jackson Park, 6300 S. Cornell Ave.
- Kennedy Park, 2427 W. 113th St.
- Kelvyn Park, 4438 W. Wrightwood Ave.
- Lake Meadows Park, 3117 S. Rhodes Ave.
- Lincoln Park, Cannon Dr. at Fullerton Ave., parking lot east of Cannon Dr.
- Margate Park, 4921 N. Marine Dr.
- Marquette Park, 6700 S. Kedzie Ave.
- McKinley Park, 2210 W. Pershing Rd.
- Mt. Greenwood Park, 3721 W. 111th St.
- North Park Village, 5801 N. Pulaski Rd.
- Norwood Park, 5801 N. Natoma Ave.
- Portage Park, 4100 N. Long Ave.
- Riis Park, 6201 W. Wrightwood Ave.
- Rowan Park, 11546 S. Avenue L
- Sheridan Park, 910 S. Aberdeen St.
- Warren Park, 6601 N. Western Ave.
- Wentworth Park, 5701 S. Narragansett Ave.