CHA Won't Evict Family of Acquitted Fenger Student

Police superintendent: investigation into Derrion Albert's death continues

By BJ Lutz
|  Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009  |  Updated 4:13 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Eugene Bailey Leaves Jail

NBCChicago.com

Eugene Bailey hugs his mother, Ava Greyer, in the living room of the family's home on Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2009.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Family Wants Apology, Out of Fenger High

Back at home, Eugene Bailey and his mother talk about the ordeal and what lies ahead for them.

Eugene Bailey Leaves Jail

Hours after prosecutors dropped first-degree murder charges against him, one of the four teens accused of beating a student to death after school last month walked out of jail and into a swarm of reporters.
More Photos and Videos

The family of the teen wrongfully accused of beating Fenger High School honor roll student Derrion Albert to death will be able to remain in their home.

After 18-year-old Eugene Baily was charged with first-degree murder, the family received notice from the Chicago Housing Authority that their housing voucher had been terminated.

"They acted real fast and quick.  I got that two days after the 24th, with a sheriff.  That's pretty.  That's real pretty.  Ain't nobody went to trial or none of that.  That's wonderful," Bailey's mother, Ava Greyer, said sarcastically.

With the charges dropped, CHA spokesman Matthew Aguilar said Tuesday that the department was rescinding its efforts to evict the family.

While the family will be able to stay in their home, Bailey said he wants to finish his senior year in a new school.

Meanwhile, Chicago police Supt. Jody Weis said the investigation into the case is ongoing.

"There were six young people that identified that young man as being involved with that crime. Six people. A lot of departments would have walked away and said 'We got him.' We didn't do that. Information kept trickling in (and) we looked at it. Our detective division did a great job and when they looked at the evidence it turned out that he wasn't there," Weis said Tuesday.

Three people, Silvanus Shannon ,19, Eugene Riley ,18, and Eric Carson, 16, are facing charges in the Sept. 24 melee captured on a cell phone video. That video shows a group striking Albert with boards and kicking him as he lay on a sidewalk

Weis said police continue to look for three additional people in connection with Albert's death.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out