People are again being allowed to visit the graves of loved ones at a suburban Chicago cemetery that was closed after employees were accused of digging up bodies to resell burial plots.
The cemetery's court-appointed chief operating officer Howard Korenthal said as many as 300 relatives of those buried at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip visited the sprawling grounds Thursday. Because of their numbers, the visitors boarded buses across the street from the cemetery and were taken onto the grounds.
To manage the expected crowds at the historic Black cemetery, for the first week only visitors with a ticket issued by the cemetery that shows specific grave locations are being allowed to enter. He says things are going smoothly.
Visitors can obtain a ticket with the a grave location from the BurrOakAlsip.com Web site.
The cemetery has been closed since revelations earlier this summer that hundreds of graves were dug up so the burial plots could be resold.
Four former cemetery employees have been charged. All have pleaded not guilty.
The following sections will be open during the dates and times indicated:
Friday, Nov. 20, 8am to 4pm:
6-1, 6-1A, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 10-1, 10-2, 10-3, 11-1, 11-2
Saturday, Nov. 21, 8am to 3:30 pm:
6-14, 6-15, 6-16, 6-16A, 6-17, 13, 14, 14-A, 15, 16
Sunday, Nov. 22, 8am to 3:30pm:
6-20, 6-21, 6-22, 6-23, 6-23A
Monday, Nov. 23, 8am to 4pm:
6-6, 6-7, 6-8, 6-9, 6-10, 6-11, 6-11A, 6-13, 12-1, 12-A,
Tuesday, Nov. 24, 8am to 4pm – All sections not listed above
Wednesday, Nov. 25, 8am to 4pm – All sections not listed above
Beginning Friday, Nov. 27, the cemetery will reopen to the public with drive-in and walk-in traffic permitted.
Full Coverage: Desecration at Burr Oak Cemetery