Bleach, Drain Cleaner Mix Leads to Evacuation of School

Two dozen students, 10 adults taken to the hospital

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The mayor of south suburban Blue Island said nearly two dozen students and 10 adults were taken to hospitals because of hazardous materials.

    Blue Island Mayor Don Peloquin said the Paul Revere Intermediate School, at 12331 Gregory St., was evacuated Thursday and ambulances took the students to seven different nearby hospitals.

    "We had about 15 fire departments that responded to the hazardous materials call," said Peloquin "All of those transported became ill from breathing the fumes when someone accidentally mixed bleach with some type of Drano, causing a strong chemical odor that quickly spread through the ventilation system."

    The Cook County School District 130 reported an accidental chemical reaction. Parents gathered at a nearby park to be reunited with their children.

    The school will be closed Friday while officials from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and the Water Reclamation District complete their investigation, the Chicago Tribune reported.