Waterbed Fire Destroys South Elgin Home

Fire chief blames heater

By Matt Bartosik
|  Monday, Jan 18, 2010  |  Updated 6:30 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Weird News Photos: Holiday Edition

www.techimo.com

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

House fires are often the result of an electrical problem, a kitchen accident or a misplaced space heater. But the flames that engulfed a South Elgin home on Friday came from an unexpected culprit: a waterbed.

Was the motion in the ocean just too hot for even the H2O to douse?

According to South Elgin Fire Chief Joe Cluchey, the waterbed's heater is to blame. It was left on after the bed had been disassembled Friday afternoon.

Witnesses reported seeing a fire at the back of the single-family, ranch-style house on Spring Ave.

The fire chief said it is likely the fire was burning for quite some time inside the home before it was visible to passersby.

Emergency crews from six different towns responded to the call. It took firefighters 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

Damages are estimated to total over $180,000, but fortunately no one was injured.

This homeowner has definitely been through hell and high water.

Matt Bartosik is a Chicago native and a social media sovereign.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out