Chicago’s heat wave isn’t looking to let up just yet.
The weather service issued a heat advisory was issued in beginning at 11 a.m. Thursday and the advisory will remain in effect until 7 p.m. Friday.
The heat index Friday, the alert said, could reach up 108 degrees.
As heat continues to grip the city, we’ve put together a list of tips for staying safe and cool.
- Drink before you’re thirsty and stay hydrated
- Do not drink alcohol of any kind
- No mid-day exercise
- Wear sunscreen, sunglasses and hats when outdoors
- Stay in shaded areas
- Take frequent breaks
- Wear loose, light clothing
As for keeping cool inside, here are some tips for how to keep your heat levels, and utility bills, down indoors.
- Keep windows near fans closed, but keep them open in areas without fans
- Avoid baking or stovetop cooking by using a microwave. Use an exhaust fan to push hot air out if you do cook.
- Keep shades down
- Take a cold shower
- Wrap a cold towel around your neck