Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
Carlie Duitsman of Mahomet fell asleep while texting on her cell phone. She woke up in the middle of the night to find a melted cell phone, a hole in her blanket, and burns on her abdomen, according to WBBM.
Carlie's father, Greg, blames a malfunctioning lithium battery and wants to warn everyone he can.
"[People] take these products for granted and they think they're perfectly safe," he said, "but there's a little battery in there that can really cause havoc."
Carlie has had a difficult time coping since the incident, but not because of the burns.
"It's been hard trying not to text people," said the teenager. "I was a little upset because I just got it."
The manufacturer, AT&T, is sending her a new phone, and is investigating the matter.