At a press conference held to address comments that Chicago Police could be responsible for unsolved murders in the city, Monique Davis attempts to defend, and retract her statements.
An Illinois state representative has pointed a finger at Chicago police officers, claiming they might be the culprits in a number of unsolved murders of black youths in Chicago.
State Rep. Monique Davis made the statement while being interviewed about Chicago violence Tuesday on WCHB-AM in Detroit.
“I’m going to tell you what some suspicions have been and what people have whispered to me. They’re not sure that black people are shooting all of these children,” she said. “There’s some suspicion, and I don’t want to spread this, but I’m just going to tell you what I’ve been hearing: They suspect maybe the police are killing some of these kids.”
"There has been a lot of weird things going on and i'll be honest and tell you, I, as you've stated, I am truly outraged," Davis said.
Director of Chicago Police News Affairs Adam Collins replied to Davis' comment stating:
“The men and women of Chicago Police Department work tirelessly every day to keep our city safe. These comments are so outrageous and baseless that they do not merit any comment.”
In a Friday release, however, Davis commended Chicago Police for their efforts.
“Our law enforcement officials are working hard to keep our streets safe," she said in a statement. "I commend the men and women who serve bravely to protect our neighborhoods."
Davis spoke Friday regarding her comment where she said she doesn't know the reason behind the unsolved murders.
"I'm not a detective, I'm not an investigator," she said. "I said my community, many people in my community, based upon their experiences and their knowledge, believe it is possible that some of these murders are committed by our finest. Now, we can’t say that doesn’t happen.
"It's time to make it known. It's time to stop being quiet," she added.
Davis spoke out on the city's violence earlier this month when she publicly asked Governor Pat Quinn to call in the National Guard to assist with Chicago's growing violence, NBC News reported.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy released a statement on the weekend's violence stating "no shooting or murder is acceptable."
"While to date we've had significantly fewer shootings and significantly fewer murders this year, there's more work to be done and we won't rest until everyone in Chicago enjoys the same sense of safety," McCarthy said in the statement.